1. The west portion of the private residence at 2581 Main Street is
the first structure built in Cambria. In 1865, before there was a
town, George Lull operated his general merchandise store in the lower
level of the building and lived upstairs.
2. The Olalliberry Inn was built in the 1870's by the Manderscheid
brothers, pharmacists from Germany. Later, the Smithers family, who
operated a successful dairy farm in the Leimert area, lived in the
3. The residence at 2420 Main Street was built in the 1880's by the
Leffingwell family. William Leffingwell, Sr. settled along the
central coast in 1858, establishing a beach landing, the first flour
mill, and the first sawmill in the country. His sawmill produced the
rough slabs of local pine that went into building "Slabtown",
Cambria's early nickname.
4. The Old Santa Rosa Chapel, built in 1870, was the first church in
the country built outside the mission grounds. A walk through the
cemetery in back reveals the names of many of the Italian-speaking
Swiss who settled in the area in the mid-1970's and established
thriving dairy farms.
5. The little white church at 4314 Bridge Street, was built in 1874
as the First Presbyterian Church, and has been the home of several
Protestant denominations. Calvin Coolidge once attended this church
while visiting Hearst Castle.
Click Here to Continue the Tour!
Lodging | Dining | Organizations | Real Estate | Services | Shopping
Designed and Hosted by Ernest & Allen Inc.
Copyright © 1997-2001