21. The front right-hand portion of the
Brambles Restaurant, built in
the 1880's, was first occupied by the Mora family. In the early
1900's, Dr. Lowell lived in the house and ran his practice from a
porch added on to the left side.
22. The Bluebird Motel, 1880 Main Street, surrounds the home that
George Lull built for his bride in 1880. At the time it was built, it
was considered to be the most pretentious house in town.
Located about a mile out of town, at the end of the county road that
continues on from Bridge Street, is the old community cemetery. This
land was deeded by the Leffingwells in return for family plots. It is
interesting to stroll through the cemetery and read the history
revealed on the headstones.
In the west end of Cambria there are several other sites of historical interest:
- The Fresnel lens, on display at the Pinedorado grounds, was used at
the Piedras Blancas lighthouse between 1874-1949.
- The Santa Rosa Schoolhouse, now the home of the Allied Arts
Association, was built in 1881 and was originally located along the
Santa Rosa Creek.
- The nearby Cambria Jail was moved from Bridge Street, where it was
conveniently located near the saloons.
Lodging | Dining | Organizations | Real Estate | Services | Shopping
Designed and Hosted by Ernest & Allen Inc.
Copyright © 1997-2001