11. P.A. Forrester, a man of considerable influence, built the house
at 2276 Center Street in 1868. In 1877, after becoming wealthy
through his mining interests, Forrester left town to become mayor of
San Luis Obispo. In 1883 he was appointed State Commissioner of
12. The tiny blue house at 2261 Center Street was built in the 1890's
and was home to Louis Maggetti, the town cobbler, who added the
second story in 1900 to make room for his six children.
13. Referred to as the "Red House", the structure at 2264 Center
Street sits on what was once Cambria's Chinese Community Center.
Comprised of three separate buildings, the Red House was joined
together around 1920 by Will Warren. The square front portion was
the B.F. Franklin building, used as Cambria's first high school around
1890. The portion that extends on the right was a Joss House, built
in 1899, and is considered to be the oldest remaining Chinese temple
in Southern California. A building, believed to have been a laundry,
is joined to the back.
14. The old house sitting on the corner of Burton and Center Streets
was built in 1882 by Samuel Guthrie, a merchant. In 1914 the house
sold to Eugenio Bianchini, a Swiss immigrant who came to this country
in 1878 in search of opportunity - and found it. After farming,
mining, dairying, and running a butcher, he retired to this home.
The property has been unoccupied since 1970- due to legal problems and
disagreement among the Bianchini heirs.
15. The board and batten redwood building, probably built after the
turn of the century, was once Carroll's Blacksmith Shop. This
false-fronted building is an excellent example of what many commercial
establishments looked like in the old west.
Click Here to Continue the Tour!
Lodging | Dining | Organizations | Real Estate | Services | Shopping
Designed and Hosted by Ernest & Allen Inc.
Copyright © 1997-2001